The garbage disposal in your sink is a useful tool for grinding and disposing of food from your kitchen. It is specifically designed to handle tough food fibers and reduce them into tiny bits which you can flush down the sink. Proper maintenance and care of your garbage disposal are essential to keep it operating at peak performance. A P&D Mechanical technician needs to perform an annual inspection of your garbage disposal to identify any potential problems. You can also reinforce the durability of your garbage disposal by using it according to the manufacturer's manual. Below are some tips for taking care of your disposal.
What to Avoid
The first rule of correct garbage disposal use is to avoid putting certain foods or items in the device.
● Pasty food. For instance, do not put potato peelings in the disposal. They will turn into a paste and clog the drain. The same thing happens to banana peels, coffee grounds, and eggshells. You should refrain from sticking any food in the disposal that will clog a drain.
● Ground Glass. There is a common myth that ground glass will 'clean' your disposal's cutting blades. Simply pour ground glass into the device while it's running. The truth is, however, that ground glass will not sharpen your blades, and it will not easily drain.
● Bleach. Bleach will kill the germs and bacteria in your sink. And that's precisely the problem. Bleach destroys bacteria that is essential for breaking down solid waste in the septic system. Bleach also solidifies grease.
How to Keep Your Garbage Disposal Clean and Fresh
You expose your garbage disposal to food every day. Therefore, you should clean it as often as possible. Try the following:
● Baking soda / Vinegar combination. Let the baking soda foam up. Drain with hot water.
● Citrus peels. Combine lemon peels or orange peels with ice cubes.
● Water. Use plenty of water when using the garbage disposal. We recommend flushing the garbage disposal at least 30 seconds after each use.
● Dishwashing Detergent. Ordinary household dishwashing detergent such as Dawn is perfect for breaking down grease. It will help you avoid plumbing repairs.
Leave the Repairs to a Professional
Although it may be tempting to fix your garbage disposal when problems arise, it's not advisable. A better solution is to call P & D Mechanical. We provide affordable, dependable service with technicians that you can trust to fix any problem you may have. We service both residential and commercial properties in Minneapolis and St. Minnesota. No matter how small or large your garbage disposal repair is, we can handle it. Call us today at 763-533-2218. We're here when you need us.
Contact Us for More Information